Instructors: Back Channel Staff
Wednesday Evenings starting February 8th to April 26th, 6-9 PM.
Plus Saturday & Sunday February 11th & 12th, 9 AM to 5:30 PM.
It is highly recommended that you take the Woodworking Fundamentals 1 class, prior to enrolling in this class.
You will also require a home bench of some kind for this class, to do some of the work at home.
A $100.00 deposit is required to confirm your reservation. Deposit is refundable until 30 days before the class.
The skills acquired in the Woodworking Fundamentals -Part 1 class will be honed and refined as your sawing, chopping, paring, and planing techniques continue to improve.
In this class, you will learn to build a shaker side table using a combination of hand and power tools. This project covers the basic elements of furniture making. Legs will be cut with attention to grain orientation, and joined with the aprons by mortise and tenon. A traditional drawer will be made with thru and half-blind dovetails. The knob is made on the lathe. From rough lumber to hand plane finish, each student will experience the joy of making a classic design come to life one step at a time.
The Shaker Table is an excellent first furniture project. The design of this piece is simple but offers an abundance of fundamental woodworking skills that you will use over and over again. Building this table forces the student to work to a certain standard because mistakes cannot be hidden. Upholding this standard will ensure success in future furniture making projects.
- How to make a plan and cutlist
- Careful stock selection and preparation
- Organize, mark and layout parts
- Safe ways to taper legs
- Setup and use a hollow chisel mortiser
- Rough-out tenons at the table saw
- Fit tenons with a shoulder plane
- Build a drawer and fit it with with runners, spacers and kickers
- Add a solid wood drawer bottom
- Turn a knob at the lathe
- Execute a spring joint for an invisible glue-line in the table top
- Finish preparation with a smoothing plane
- Strategies for glue-up and assembly
Tuition does not include $100 for materials